PEOPLE’S UNION FOR CIVIL LIBERTIES
21st July, 2018
NOT COW SUMGGLING BUT EXTORTION WHICH LED TO THE LYNCHING OF AKBAR KHAN : PUCL Rajsthan
At 1 am in the night of 20th and 21st July
After having studied collectively with others activists, the lynchings in Mewat area of Rajasthan, it has become clear to the PUCL that Akbar Khan who had bought two cows from village Ladpur, Ramgarh tehsil, Alwar district and was taking back the cows in the night to his own village Kol near Firozpur Jhirka, Mewat, Haryana. Where he was killed in Jungle Lalawandi, Ramgarh. It is well known that extortionists under the garb of gaurakshaks are roaming the streets looking for a prey. If those carrying cows are able to pay the sum demanded, then they are allowed to go or else fired at and killed. This time too this has been the case, as reported by activists from the ground level.
The murder of Akbar is the complete failure of your Government in protecting Muslims in particular Dairy farmers from the killer Gaurakshaks, who are basically extortionists.
You may recall that in the past 4 lynchings have happened since 2015, with three in 2017. Please recall the following murders:
· 30 may 2015, Abdul Gaffar Querishi, Birloka, Didwana tehsil, Nagaur district
· 1st April, 2017 Pehlu Khan, Behror thana, Alwar district
· 16th June, 2017 Zafar Khan, Pratapgarh town, Pratapgarh district
· 10th sept, 2017 Bhagtaram Meena, neem ka thaana sikar district.
Along with police encounters in the city of Alwar of Mev Muslims, in the name of the picking up cows.
Although in this case the police brought the deceased to Alwar and lodged an FIR 0321/18 U/S 143, 341, 323, 302, 34 IPC at the Ramgarh police station.
We would like to ask the Government of Rajasthan, who tweeted immediately this morning, condemning this incident, whether she had any plans to call a halt to this bloody madness as now the Gau rakshaks have tasted blood and have the support of the police and administration
All pehlu khan killers were thrown out of the purview of investigation and cases of cow smuggling are still being faced by Pehlu khan’s companions, Azmat and RAfiq. Todate Zafar khans killers are roaming free and the eye witnesses in the Umar case were thrown into jail. In Bhagtaram’s case nothing happened, till the High Court intervened earlier this month in July.. There seems to be complete impunity to the killers, with the Home minister Gulab singh Kataria going on record that Gau Rakshaks to good work, after Pehlu khan was killed.
We would also like to know whether the GOR has any plans to implement the Supreme court guide lines. The SC clearly made the centre and State responsible for lynchings, and said mobocracy will not be allowed. As part of the guidelines it has all state to make nodal officers, immediate arrests and chargesheets and fast track courts and maximum punishment.
It these are not going to stop now, these murders are going to be on the increase? It will be a major violation by your Government of Article 21, the right to life of the Muslims
we demand :
· the immediate transfer of investigation to an independent agency, like an SIT or under the IG.
· Arrest the killers of Akbar Khan.
· Immediately and restore the cows to the family of Akbar Khan.
· Compensation including cash of 25 lakhs and land to the family. And a government job to his kin.
· Aslam be given protection.
· No false case of cow smuggling be filed against Akbar and Aslam.
· The Ramgarh SHO be dismissed from duty. As the onus is on the State to protect the people from lynching.
· The Home minister give a plan for the protection of dairy farmers particularly the Meos in Mewat region.
We also demand from the CM that this be the last lynching in Rajasthan. The impunity and protection to these killers be withdrawn now.
Kavita Srivastava, (President)
Anant Bhatnagar ( General Secretary)
Address for Correspondence: 76, Shanti Niketan Colony, Kisan Marg, Jaipur -302015
Phone No: 0141/ 2708917, 09351562965, 9887158183; E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org